Sunday, July 22, 2012

Droopy Basil

I live in the great and glorious state of Texas. :)  And there is only one word to describe Texas this time of year...HOT!  It is so hot that when you are outside for any length of time, you can literally feel the heat like fire on your skin.  Thankfully, the Lord has extravagantly blessed us with two marvelous inventions that make the hot summer days bearable, pools and air conditioning!

While I can come inside and escape the blazing sun, my poor little basil plant, that started off this whole blog, cannot.  A few mintes ago, I walked outside to snag a few leaves and noticed that my basil plant was looking pretty droopy.  I grabbed the hose and doused it with water, giving my little plant a nice long drink.  About 5 minutes later I went back outside to find my basil plant back to it's perky self.  I was a bit amazed at how quickly the water perked the plant back up!  So, I picked a few leaves afterall and added them into my homemade eggplant parmesean that will serve as tonights dinner.  Yum, I can't wait!

This little scenario sparked a verse in my mind that Eli and I have been reciting lately.  John 7:37-38 says, "37 On the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried out, saying, “If anyone thirsts, let him come to Me and drink. 38 He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water." 

Do you find yourself feeling "droopy" because the heat of life is getting to you?  Are you thirsty?  If so, there is great news for you...Jesus Himself is inviting you to come and to drink.  He is the one who douses us with living water, quenching our thirst and renewing our spirit.  We are revived and replenished instantly in Christ.  While the heat may not necessarily go away, we receive a new source of strength, hope, and courage that allows us to endure and thrive even in the midst of our greatest trials.  And when we find ourselves perked back up with the living water that Jesus offers to us freely, we can once again be effectively used for the purpose Christ has for us. 

Oh Lord, we are so thirsty for You.  We thank You that You indeed are all that we need.  We thank You for Your invitation to come to You and to drink.  We accept Your offer; we come to You now, Jesus, and we drink deeply of the living water that You provide.  Thank you for the satisfying, thirst quenching life that is found in you, Jesus.        

No comments:

Post a Comment