Thursday, May 10, 2012

My Basil Plant

God just taught me a lesson through my basil plant. Indeed, the Lord speaks in mysterious ways…He speaks in everything, He is in everything. I love it when God snaps my spiritual eyes and ears in tune with Him, and helps me to see Truth in the world around me. That is what just happened to me a few moments ago.

I was outside watering my tomatoes and checking on my herbs. I have gotten into container gardening this year and cannot tell you how excited I am about it! When checking on my basil, something near the top of my plant caught my attention. I drew close and let out an audible “whoa!” I am not sure if the picture will truly reveal the marvel that stuck out to me. There at the top of the plant, you could see that there were dozens of ity bity basil leaves just waiting to come up! Then, in about an instant God deposited a truth in my heart that I will attempt to convey to you. When God speaks truth to your heart, it is truly an amazing thing. In a Nano second, you just get it. He does not use words; it is as if you just now know something that you did not the instant before. I will try to explain this in words, because unlike the Holy Spirit I cannot deposit truth in your heart, but I pray that through me He will reveal to you the same delightful truth that He just shared with me.

Photobucket

As I stooped down low and looked at the basil plant, I was amazed at just how many basil leaves there were about to come up. I realized that most of the time, I find myself savoring each leaf and not wanting to waste it, feeling as if there are a limited number of leaves that I am about to use up. Looking at all of those baby leaves, it hit me that God was about to bring about more basil leaves than I could count. They are not limited, I do not have to use them so sparingly, God is showing my little basil plant increase. And in my heart, the spiritual truth set in.

This is how God wants to bless me. Not sparingly, but beyond what I can count. He does not just have one blessing for me that I better use well and enjoy. He has blessing upon blessing. He wants to overwhelm me with them! He has so much in store and so much more to come. They are limitless, they are abundant. He is a generous God! In Ephesians, Paul writes, “Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.” (Eph 3:20-21) He delights in blessing us, because in doing so it ultimately brings glory to Jesus Christ.

Oh that I will obediently follow Him, that I will love Him wholeheartedly, that I will know Him intimately. Psalm 37:4 says “Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart.” This is not a “how to get what you want from God” type of quote. It cannot be manipulated, for we must remember that God always knows the “thoughts and attitudes of the heart” (Heb 4:12). Proverbs 16:2 says “All a man’s ways are innocent to him, but motives are weighed by the Lord.” We cannot pretend to delight in God to get what we want, because He knows our hearts and our motives. But on the other hand, when we truly delight in God, when we long for and seek and desire Him above all else, then we will become like my little basil plant. We will have a plethora of blessings that spring forth so abundantly that we cannot even count them all!

Just to be clear, I am not necessarily speaking of so called earthly blessings…money, beauty, health, a problem free, stress free existence. I am speaking of heavenly blessings. He will give us good things. He will bless us richly. He is our good and generous God!

Oh Lord, thank you that you love to bless me, not because I deserve it, but simply because of who You are! You are the God who has created every Good thing, you create everything beautiful. The glorious magnificence of a beautiful sunset, the heart lifting giggle of a little one, the ever growing depth of true love…all of these are from you, thought up by you, created simply for our enjoyment and for the glory of Your name. Oh Lord, we thank you for the abundance of blessings all around us. Indeed, they are rich. We breathe you in deeply, overwhelmed with gratitude for the extravagant ways that you express Your love toward us. Lord, indeed we delight in You. Not because we long for stuff. You are the prize, You are the greatest blessing. Indeed as the song goes, “As the deer panteth for the water so my soul longeth after Thee. You alone are my heart’s desire and I long to worship Thee.” We love you, Jesus, thank you for the blessing of life that is found in You alone. We love You, Father, thank You for being a God who has created such beauty and so generously pours out your blessings on us. We love you, Holy Spirit, thank you for revealing Your truth to us in all things, including a little pot of basil. You are a magnificent God, and I am so honored that you have chosen me to know you. I am humbled. I love you Lord, thank you for loving me first! In Jesus name, Amen.

Photobucket

2 comments: